Saturday, June 27, 2009

Kindergarten: Day 1

Monday, August 23, 2010 - Day 1: Our little one and I were rushing to get to school on day one - figures... The feeling is pretty cool as we get to the school. The parking lot was full, so we had to park pretty much as far away as possible. I have my iPhone at the ready to video, but need to keep going as the looming 8:00 bell is about to ring. We make our way through the throngs of parents (who clearly have their routine down already) and arrive at the door. I see his new backpack on the bench just outside the door, send him over to pick it up. As he does that I knock on the door. Mrs. Davis opens the door says, "Hi Sawyer, we've been waiting for you!" He scurries through the slightly opened door - so the parents won't distract the kids - a moment later the door is closed... I didn't get to say goodbye, I love you, nada. First day of school, the kid is already gone. Oh well, no sense in making a big deal of it, right? It's only his first day of school - EVER!

I worked from home so I could pick him up at the end of the shortened first day. I get there a bit early to see if I can sneak up and observe the animal in the wild. All the kindergartners were outside, orderly and quiet, sitting at the lunch tables eating. These teachers must have the magic touch - it was amazing to watch. After they finished, they went back into the classroom for a few minutes. They were let out and he saw me standing there and came running over with the biggest smile on his face. It was impressive how much he loved his first day. On the short drive home, he told me all about it, wanted to call Mama and his babysitter to tell them all about it. Pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment